Thursday, September 16, 2010

New Generation of Browser Wars

Microsoft announced today that they are going to release a new version of their browser, Internet Explorer 9. This announcement comes in the wake of Mozilla releasing their new beta version of Firefox 4 beta. Google Chrome is being updated every few weeks, and I have lost track of the version.

I use Firefox on all my PCs. However, for me, it is far from perfect in terms of interface. IE 8 for me has the perfect interface; thankfully, Firefox lets me get that IE look by using Vista Aero theme. I can’t quite praise this theme enough.

Also, I was looking at personas and the world started making a lot of sense when I saw this:

persona

58,187 active users. That’s nice to see.

Anyway, I am very interested in seeing how new generation of browsers perform. I am hoping IE 9 comes a lot closer to Firefox in terms of functionality, and hopefully have a spell checker this time.

Although I don’t see myself giving up the functionality of Firefox, especially AdBlock Plus. It makes surfing so much easier for me. Yes, Firefox is a little more resource hungry, but in the age of dual core CPUs, that hardly matters.

OK, here is when I will switch to IE 9 if it has -

  • Better password manager
  • AdBlock Plus equivalent
  • Flashgot equivalent
  • Spell checker
  • “Paste and go” option

So let’s see how IE 9 will fare compared to the other browsers.

No comments:

Post a Comment